Troutbirder

Troutbirder
To Go To Troutbirders Nature Blog (click on above picture)

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

No Shortage Of Good Days

I think I’ve read all of author John Gierach’s previous books including among other Trout Bum, At the Grave of the Unknown Fisherman and Standing in a River Waving a Stick. They make me laugh. They remind me of my own idiosyncracies. I couldn’t pass up his latest which appeared last week at out public library. It’s titled No Shortage of Good Days.
With a title taken from an Annie Dillard quote ("There is no shortage of good days; it’s good lives that are hard to come by"), the book is a collection of fondly remembered fishing trips and random fishing-related topics, along with miscellaneous other narrative odds and ends thrown in the mix. Gierach has for years set the standard for down home wit and wisdom in the genre of fly fishing "literature."

5 comments:

Sarah Laurence said...

I can see why you'd love this author from humor to fishing. Terrific quote from Dillard.

NCmountainwoman said...

I love the cover and name. BTW...Erik Larson's new book, "In the Garden of the Beasts" is a good read I think you might enjoy.

Janie said...

Steve would love this one.

EcoRover said...

Sounds like a good read. Last Gierach I picked up was "Even Brook Trout get the Blues."

Jane said...

Love fly fishing stories. I assume you have read Jack Hemingway? Hope that you and The Baron are keeping well together,

Jane