Troutbirder

Troutbirder
To Go To Troutbirders Nature Blog (click on above picture)

Monday, March 4, 2019

Theodore Roosevelt's early books.


 Hunting Trips of the Rancherman and The Wilderness Hunter by Theodore Roosevelt.

This 1996 modern Library edition of two of Pres. Roosevelt’s many books is readily available. In reviewing it I must reveal a big bias. It seems my father born in 1909 had a middle name named after Pres. Theodore. I followed with the same middle name and then Mrs. T and I named our eldest son Theodore. Theodore Roosevelt was the most remarkable of men. He ushered his country into the 20th century. He stands also in the first rank, according to author Stephen Ambrose, of the 20th century presidents. He was  among famous world leaders second on the great writers list just behind Winston Churchill and Julius Caesar. You can add scholar, cowboy, outdoorsman, rancher, conservationist, war hero, police Commissioner, Nobel Prize winner for peace, and progressive Republican who became president. He also reflected some of the currently politically incorrect beliefs and biases of his times. He was a man for all seasons.
The  memoir I just finished reading was an early one of his many books. It does reflect the new man in the making, who lived in the West and learned from it. As a young New Yorker, Harvard graduate,  inheriting wealth from his father he presaged his younger cousin Franklin and was the uncle of Franklins bride Eleanor. I will say this about this book. If you’d like to meet this great president firsthand instead of biographies or see his face on Mount Rushmore. Read about him in his own words. It's real history in the making.

 

14 comments:

Red said...

...and I wish we had a similar president today!

Linda said...

He did a lot for preserving our wilderness lands.

Arkansas Patti said...

I agree with Red. I really admire him for his efforts towards conservationism.

Out on the prairie said...

Sounds like a good tribute. I have been reading Spenser Quinnn private detective series where his narrative is done by a dog

Vicki said...

Teddy was a Republican I could love!

Barrie said...

I enjoyed your review. My child (who's actually an adult :) ): is a huge history buff and fan of Theodore Roosevelt. I will get him this book. I'm with you; there's something to be said for reading someone's own words and not just biographies. Thank you for reviewing!

NCmountainwoman said...

He was indeed a remarkable man. I have read his biography and found him fascinating. He really overcame a lot of adversity.

Ien in the Kootenays said...

A complex and fascinating man indeed, larger than life. But I have a hard time with his worship of war. Have you listened to Dan Carlin's podcast on the Spanish war? I need to listen to it again.

Cynthia said...

You forgot his most famous legacy, the Teddy Bear! Ha ha. I also admire him for his conservation efforts. I enjoyed your review.

Linda McLaughlin said...

Great choices, Ray. I have long admired Teddy Roosevelt, too, and I'll be adding his books to my TBR queue. While I deplore his war mongering, I admire him for his efforts in conservation and moving the US into the modern era. He was a complex, fascinating man.

Linda McLaughlin said...

PS. I also enjoy the Spencer Quinn dog mysteries. So much fun.

Sarah Laurence said...

That is interesting that Teddy Roosevelt wrote a memoir. I think of that being more of a modern thing to do, but his concept of wilderness conservation was ahead of his time too.

Powell River Books said...

I'll put this on my to-be-read list. I enjoy memoirs and historical writings. Probably the old history major in me. And by the way, my elementary school in Compton, California, was named after Theodore Roosevelt. - Margy

L. D. said...

I was surprised when my oldest son and his wife named their new baby Theodore John. I like it and hope he gets to be a Theo instead of a Teddy.