Troutbirder

Troutbirder
To Go To Troutbirders Nature Blog (click on above picture)

Saturday, January 20, 2018

The Post


 
"The Post"  reminds us about the indispensable role of the press in a democracy, ours in this particular case. An historical fact that comes to illustrate the dangerous times we're living now. The story of The Pentagon Papers, that Defense Department secret study of how this country became entangled in a no win war in a faraway place for no valid reason.

 Steven Spielberg directs Meryl Streep and Tom Hanks in the movie. It shows a suspenseful  drama about the unlikely partnership between The Washington Post's Katharine Graham (Streep), the first female publisher of a major American newspaper, and editor Ben Bradlee (Hanks), as they race to catch up with The New York Times to expose a massive cover-up of government secrets that spanned three decades and four U.S. Presidents. The two must overcome their differences as they risk their careers - and their very freedom - to help bring long-buried truths to light.

 The film is both a gripping and timely celebration of the free press, and, in the remarkable hands of Streep, an exploration of what it meant then (and, perhaps, now) to be a woman thrust into power in an all-male world.  Even for us Golden Agers who know this story  and its’ Watergate follow-up as well, in our present time of “alt-facts”, it doesn’t hurt to reflect upon a President who broke the law, lied and tried to suborn the process of justice….

11 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

Two very fine actors, and the story seems very interesting.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Troutbirder - I hope to get to see this ... it seems to be an excellent film - with brilliant renditions by both Hanks and Streep ... cheers Hilary

Arkansas Patti said...

Two of my favorite actors and a great subject. I'll have to wait for the DVD but it is on my list. Your last sentence sure seems familiar today.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Seems Streep was a Harvey W supporter...didn't she call him a "god" and look what he has done to women. I am not so sure I like her anymore as an actress:(

Out on the prairie said...

One I need to see, sounds very exciting with a good cast

DJan said...

I knew the story but found the movie gripping nevertheless. It was extremely well done, IMHO. :-)

Valerie said...

I think I would like this... off to check with Amazon.

Vicki said...

Will see this film with my daughter this week. My Trump loving husband refuses to see it because he hates "agenda movies". I think people who won't see a movie because they are afraid of political criticism do themselves no favors and it stinks of self-censorship but this is the state of our very divided country these days

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

I found myself crying during this movie for many reasons. My daughter, who was born after these events, accompanied me and I did my best to explain to her what was going on during those times, including its treatment of women. We have come far and many of the things that I dealt with, my daughters don’t, but that does not mean we still don’t have to fight for every right we have. The last twelve months have shown us that.

The acting was marvelous and the story was told well. Hopefully, some of the younger generation will see this movie and research the details. History does repeat itself often.

Anonymous said...

Provocative review, Sr T.

Powell River Books said...

I thoroughly enjoyed this film. The acting was superb and the topic very timely. Seems we don't always learn from our past. - Margy