Troutbirder

Troutbirder
To Go To Troutbirders Nature Blog (click on above picture)

Monday, May 14, 2012

Peter Yarrow

Peter Yarrow (born May 31, 1938) is an American singer who found fame with the 1960s folk music trio Peter, Paul and Mary. Yarrow co-wrote one of the group's most famous songs, "Puff, the Magic Dragon." He is also a political activist and has lent his support to causes that range from opposition to theVietnam War to the creation of Operation Respect. In 1962, the trio's first album, Peter, Paul & Mary was released. The album sold more than two million copies. The group toured extensively and recorded numerous albums, both live and in the studio. In October 1969, Yarrow married Mary Beth McCarthy of Willmar Minnesota. Paul wrote The Wedding Song (There is Love)" as his gift for their wedding and first performed it at St. Mary's Church in Willmar. He has two adult children. In 2000, he founded Operation Respect.
On behalf of Operation Respect, Yarrow has appeared, pro bono, in areas as diverse as Hong Kong, Vietnam, Bermuda, Croatia, South Africa, Egypt, Argentina and Canada. In all, the program has been presented to many educational leaders and more than 10 million children. In some form, the project has reached nearly a of all elementary and middle schools in America; at least 20,000 schools, in all.
Although Mary has left us from the effects of cancer, it was a special moment to be able to attend a Yarrow concert last Saturday night in Rochester Minnesota. The sense of love and community was still there and the music... oh the music. In contrast to the greed, arrogance and "me" of today one can’t help but wonder "where have all the flowers gone?"

10 comments:

Montanagirl said...

I remember a lot of their songs. Every now and then I wonder about the "flowers" too.

NCmountainwoman said...

Yarrow is a wonderful man. I do so love their music. I have all their albums on vinyl and a few on my iPod.

Ms Sparrow said...

I wasn't aware of his local connections. He has certainly made a big contribution to the American musical songbook!

Sally Wessely said...

The concert must have been wonderful. The songs of our generation are treasures, and so are the song writers like Peter Yarrow. I love the music of Peter, Paul, and Mary. I can't listen to them without feeling such nostalgia for those days of long ago. Yes, where have all the flowers gone?

warriormom said...

How lucky you were to go and how interesting to know the connections to Minnesota! I had "Peter, Paul and Mommy" on vinyl and then on cassette for my children.

LoieJ said...

This triggered some memories. I believe we had that song There is Love at our wedding. Is there any current protest music re the wars? Loved Peter Paul and Mary. Good thing you can understand the lyrics on those old songs. Hate to think of them as old.

EcoRover said...

Cool! Somehow we're all teenagers again while at a concert with our old heroes.

Janie said...

Interesting to hear what Peter has done with his life. I loved Peter, Paul and Mary as a college kid, and I sang Puff as a bedtime song to each of my kids and now to my grandkids.

Robyn Jane said...

Such wonderful memories of PP&M. I remember when for one particular album they became Peter, Paul, and Mommy.

And you're right about the greed that drives today's music scene...or damn near any scene, for that matter.

Tammie Lee said...

how wonderful that you got to go to this concert. I remember their music too.