Troutbirder

Troutbirder
To Go To Troutbirders Nature Blog (click on above picture)

Monday, May 3, 2010

Up North

There was a time when the phrase "up north" meant going to a mom and pop resort for a week or two of a fishing vacation in Northern Minnesota. That tradition has faded quite a bit over the years. Today, fancy resorts with tennis courts, golf courses, computer game rooms and "conference centers" dominate. Ah for the good old days.
Here I am checking out the beach with my Aunt Pearl and my mom (on the right) sometime during WWII.

A few years later, can you believe the striped pants my mom made me wear. The cabins were always "rustic." But what fun. I was an only child in those days as my little brothers didn't show up till I was almost ten.

This sudden dash of nostaligia may have been inspired by getting my Alumacraft fishing boat ready for the season yesterday. The images of long past fishing lakes "up north" kept flashing through my mind. They are far away in time and distance but not in memory. Farm Island, Ball Club, Potato, Sawbill, Mantrap, Battle Ax, Lida, Hoot Owl, and on and on. Those were the days my friends.....

12 comments:

Roses and Lilacs said...

When we were kids we went "up north" in Wisconsin to spend a week or two at one of the lakes.

Those trousers were very chic. My mom loved to sew so all of us kids sported some unique outfits.
Marnie

Veronica Wald said...

Seems like you were scarred for life by those stripey pants!
Lovely memories, they recalled some of my own:http://veronicawaldsamusingmusings.blogspot.com/2008/05/bit-from-my-bio.html

Bonnie said...

What awesome photos! When I was a kid, “going up north”, was spending a weekend on my grandparent’s dairy farm.

PS (PSanafter-thought) said...

Since I've been living "up north" for the last 33 years, I see this from the other side. We have traffic and full store aisles in the summers and like the quiet of the winter. But the mom and pop resorts have mostly been sold off as cabins or have upgraded as you mention, so that means fewer people who just come for a week. And fewer people have a rustic cabin where they go for most weekends or, perhaps for the whole summer. The new "cabins" are bigger and fancier than many people's regular homes.

Lake people tell me that in spite of many more homes on the lakes, the water is quieter than 30 years ago because so many of the people who these cab-mansions aren't at their lake places all that often.

Who would want to wash all those windows anyway?

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

As you say TB "the good old days" always bring back great memories and always worth recalling.

Joe said...

I love Minnesota.

Jayne said...

What a cutie pie you were!!

Far Side of Fifty said...

What great old photos! We live up north..near Mantrap and Potato..our daughter lives further up north. I think up north is always someplace else:)

Wildflower Gal said...

I grew up on a farm in south central MN and I never heard of anyone going to a cabin up north like for a week or week-end. My girl friends that lived in town never said of them going either. We did have three lakes within five miles of us that we would talk my uncle into driving us over to swim after we got done walking soy beans for the day or after baling hay. There might have been some rustic old cabins around those lakes but didn't pay to much attention to them. Never saw any docks near them with boats nearby either.
We might have been secluded too.

NCmountainwoman said...

We had the same meaning for "up north" in Wisconsin. Everyone seems to have a cabin up there and I loved hearing the tales of getting them ready for summer.

truewonder said...

I've been reading and not speaking much...an ideal woman, eh?! I understand you'll not garden, veggie wise anymore...and you prefer the trout fishing and traveling to the weeding, but how can you not love those striped trousers and tiny pea coat?! You were stylin"!!
Loved reading about the eagle's nest, wow. I view one here as I can, but it's man made. And the camp life in the Maine woods is alive and well, black flies to boot. Good day to you and yours, take care-

Sarah Laurence said...

Love the photos, especially of you as a lad. That sounds exactly like "Up North" in Maine today. We're planning a trip to a mom and pop resort that was in their family for 100 years on an island in a lake in the north woods. You can't play golf or get much internet up there. Even cell phone reception is spotty. I love it!