Troutbirder

Troutbirder
To Go To Troutbirders Nature Blog (click on above picture)

Monday, July 8, 2019

The Golden years



 

Back in the day when I was growing up my father and all his brothers called it The Shakes. More recently my neurologist identified the problem simply as Benign Familial Essential Tremors. Lucky me! I call it  annoying. The Golden Years have begun. It’s clearly not fatal the experts told me and it likely won’t get worse. It did though to the point that holding my head still, keeping my arms and hands steady and drinking a cup of coffee without spilling became a major problem. Also other problems include, using a camera, holding my binoculars for birding still and even typing (now called word processing). So what to do?

The experts recommended testing various epilepsy pills. Thanks a lot. I got some bad headaches. Finally, I decided to adapt. Plainly filling the coffee cup only half-full or using a straw seemed a reasonable adaptation. Then I discovered Kwick Trip Coffee. It seems the miraculous lid has a small opening which allows the drinker to cover it with his mouth thereby preventing any spills. Amazing!
 
That was followed by a telescope sitting on a tripod for birding. And best of all my computer guru Brian added the Dragon to my computer. The Dragon quite simply listens to me talk and it types what I say. I could email and blog again.
Wow with that positive note all stop for my morning coffee and six boxed doughnuts for the ride up to Rochester and Cottagewood memory care. If Mrs. T knew of my morning diet I'd definitely be chewed out. Actually though my real danger in the morning is not my bad diet but the fact that thousands of Iowans are racing north, passing on yellow lines darting in and out and all because there late for work at Mayo Clinic. This happens on a two lane narrow curving highway with lots of small dips. This definitely places a safe driving cautious law-abiding Minnesotans in serious danger. Of course, they do the same thing later in the day when they're anxious to get home.
See you later dear friends, I'm looking forward to a good day.

5 comments:

Joanne Noragon said...

Most importantly, you solved all, except the Iowa drivers. Keep thinking...

Sam I Am...... said...

Good for you! There are sometimes better ways to deal with "issues" other than pills. I take some but on my physician's "report" for me he states..."she refuses" and lists all the pills and tests I "refuse"! Yet, at the end he states "she is tremendously healthy"....lol! Coincidence? I don't think so. I read a great book called The Art of Dying Well. I got it from the library but I want my own copy. It's an excellent guidebook for the elderly....that's me.
I have a question...why are 1,000's of Iowans driving to the Mayo Clinic for work? Isn't that kind of a long commute? Or is it that bike journey thing...I forget the name of it...starts with an 'R' I think...see old age. Old age is not for the faint of heart but I have discovered it is quite the adventure!

Powell River Books said...

I'm so glad you found a way to work around your difficult situation. Being able to do the things you love are so important. - Margy

Ien in the Kootenays said...

Sorry to hear you have even more challenges. Ah, the endless adaptations of age! The morning routine now involves more than just putting on the glasses! Find a shoehorn because bending down to slip a finger into the heel is not an option anymore, gluing the light bladder protection into the panties and the new bottom teeth in the mouth. Making sure the cane is handy, just in case. It all sneaks up and feels quite normal until we take a trip. Oops, a bit too much information. I will scroll back to catch up.

Linda said...

Good for you! I'm sorry you have to deal with this.