Troutbirder

Troutbirder
To Go To Troutbirders Nature Blog (click on above picture)

Sunday, January 10, 2010

Up In The Air

It was only sixteen below zero last Friday..... so time to get out of the house and head to the big city and do something. A quick mall stop, then the public library to look for a book on improving bird habitat in your backyard, lunch and then a movie. I favored Sherlock Holmes, my favorite detective. Mrs T wanted George Clooney. Well, you get the picture. A chick flick I thought. Well it might be funny. It wasn’t.
There were some humorous spots but the underling premise was that George’s job was to travel endlessly across the country, firing people from their jobs, that their rich, arrogant and gutless bosses wouldn’t do themselves. Now that fits in well with the national economic mood. Nice! George had to be frozen emotionally to put up with this kind of work. Then he met a woman who appeared to be similarly oriented. Then a young hot shot woman appeared, whose computer skills were ready to replace George’s very way of making a living. No, it wasn't a triangle. It was a mess.
Perhaps the sophisticated banter, psychological swampiness, and unexplained twists and turns in the plot were way above my somewhat naive small town perspectives on life.... but when the film ended my basic response was WHAT THE HECK WAS THAT ALL ABOUT?

7 comments:

Dave Coulter said...

I'd have stuck with that bird book, lol...

Bekkieann said...

Since I like the occasional chick flick, I'm curious to know Mrs. T's view. Did she enjoy it? It doesn't sound like another "Sleepless In Seattle" but I probably shouldn't trust a man's judgment in this genre (my apologies, TB).

Janie said...

I've read a lot about this movie. From your description, I'm not sure I'd like it, but hey, it has George Clooney. That's a big plus.

Montanagirl said...

We don't go to movies - after we've watched that same movie when it comes out on TV, we're usually glad we didn't waste our money going to the actual movie! (funny or not)

Jayne said...

We rarely go to the movies either, and I often find that the ones the critic "rave" about, leave me feeling exactly as you did. What?

Nancy/BLissed-Out Grandma said...

A friend warned me that this movie wasn't the romantic comedy or the chick flick that it seemed to be. Guess we won't waste the money or time.

Thanks for your comments on my blog...always glad to hear from someone who has enjoyed the carousel. It's been a real labor of love.

Kate/High Altitude Gardening said...

Who cares what the heck the movie was all about? It was George Clooney! I'd give him an academy award for just standing there... :)