Troutbirder

Troutbirder
To Go To Troutbirders Nature Blog (click on above picture)

Monday, January 14, 2013

The Last Lion: Defender of the Realm



The Last Lion: Winston Churchill  is a trilogy of biographies covering the life of Winston Churchill. The first two were published in the 1980s by author and historian William Manchester, who died while working on the last volume. However, before his death, Manchester had selected Paul Reid to complete it, and the final vo
 
The Last Lion: Defender of the Realm was published in November 2012.
"[Reid's] palpable enthusiasm at thinking about Churchill demonstrates once again...the grip this iconic figure can still exercise on the imagination....Reid...use[s] his journalist's eye to pick up on small details or points of color that illustrate a wider truth." (Richard Aldous, New York Times Book Review )
"Mr. Reid...following Manchester's lead,...dutifully includes both the admiring and disparaging remarks of Churchill's colleagues and contemporaries, presenting everyone's take with equanimity." (Wall Street Journal )
"Reid has produced a third Last Lion...that is both magisterial and humane. Cue the trumpets." (Vanity Fair )
"It's a must-read finale for those who loved Manchester's first two books." (USA Today )
"Masterful... [and] breathtaking....Reid...finished the race with agility, grace, and skill....This is a book that is brilliant and beautiful, evocative and enervating." (Boston Globe )
"Those who want a detailed account of Churchill's two terms as prime minister and leadership during World War II will find this book a literary feast.....It's a worthy finale to an exhaustive portrait of one of the last century's true titans." (Washington Times )
Reid has written a thorough and complete analysis of these years, and it is a worthy finale to the first two volumes." (Terry Hartle, Christian Science Monitor )
"The third and final volume of a massive work of biography is a tribute not only to Manchester but also to Reid, whose courage in accepting the job is matched by his success in telling the story." (Richmond Times-Dispatch )
"[Reid] turned in a book that is well worth the wait. A large part of Manchester's popularity is the accessibility of his books. Reid has preserved that and ensured that Churchill's personality-not just his actions-come through." (Charlotte Observer )
"True, Defender of the Realm is a big book. But Winston Churchill was a big man. Read all about him." (St. Louis Post-Dispatch )

Troutbirder writes “I really enjoyed this book on my new Nook!  Was the writing as brilliant and engaging as that of William Manchester?  No, but then not everyone can  do A+. This was more like B+ but still worth it.”
About the Authors
William Manchester was a hugely successful popular historian and biographer whose books include The Last Lion, Volumes 1 and 2, Goodbye Darkness, A World Lit Only by Fire, The Glory and the Dream, The Arms of Krupp, American Caesar, The Death of the President, and assorted works of journalism.
Paul Reid is an award-winning journalist. In late 2003 his friend, William Manchester, in failing health, asked Paul to complete The Last Lion: Defender of the Realm. He lives in North Carolina.

 

8 comments:

Montanagirl said...

I may have to take up reading again!

Jo's World said...

I started not with the first volume but the second, because I was most interested in WW2 and England's role. But I soon realized I wanted to read the entire thing. So I got a Kindle for Christmas and I plan to put the first volume in very soon. Churchill was a most amazing man and changed the world for all of us.
Right now I am reading Franklin and Winston, An Intimate Portrait of an Epic Friendship by Jon Meacham. A wonderful book by itself!

Jo, Up North

Anvilcloud said...

They say there's nothing like a little nookie.

Patrycja Photography said...

Great and interesting post. I like it.
I also invite you to my blog. ;)
Yours. Have a nice day.
 
You can also find me on the fanpage and keep track of my work:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/In-another-light/413836138693856?ref=stream ;]

Sarah Laurence said...

I love Winston Churchill. He was so witty with words too.

Retired English Teacher said...

Thanks for the review. I read the older two books. I will put this book on the list to read at some point in the future.

California Girl said...

Hi! Thank you for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. I appreciate it, especially from a former (if I'm reading your profile correctly) hunter.

It pains me to see the ongoing violence caused by crazy people with access to guns and other weapons. Nothing new, I know, but still so prevalent and close to home.

I visited Dachau when I was 19 year s old, backpacking through Western Europe with my GF and learning more about the world. There are all kinds of crazy but we don't have to allow it.

Hope you visit again.

CG

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.