Troutbirder

Troutbirder
To Go To Troutbirders Nature Blog (click on above picture)

Sunday, April 8, 2012

Although Yellowstone National Park may seem a bit too specialized for a book of historical & general interest, it really isn’t. George Black in Empire Of Shadows: The Epic Story Of Yellowstone tells the story of our northern mountain (mostly Montana) states in a no nonsense & colorful manner. Exciting, adventurous, stormy and often distressingly sad, we read a powerful recounting of Yellowstone’s beginnings, unencumbered by folklore or myth, with a large, colorful and violent cast of characters that includes early fur trappers, gold miners, pioneers, politicians, statesmen, thieves, adventurers, soldiers, and Blackfeet, Crow and Nez Perce warriors and chiefs. Well-documented and researched, the story is recommended reading for those who enjoy realistic accounts of the American West. A very enjoyable book about one of my favorite places in the world....

4 comments:

Veronica Wald said...

My cuppa tea! Yay!

Ms Sparrow said...

I've never been to Yellowstone. They say that it sits on a huge volcanic dome that will eventually erupt and cause a volcanic winter. I hope that it's thousands of years in the future!

Janie said...

Wow, this sounds fascinating. I want to read it!

Ann Nichols said...

I'm going to put this book on my list of "books to get!" You have such great reviews!!
Give Baron a pat on his gorgeous head for me!
Ann